I’ve been working with Microservices for the last couple of years. It was kind of an uncharted territory back when we started. But the attention on the net and in the community has increased a lot over the past year and this spring and summer brought quite a few sobering experience reports. It is definitely not failing, but there are some real considerations to be aware of, and some of them are quite major non-technical issues. Culture and organisation needs to be changed to support working in a highly distributed manner with Microservices.
So if you’re considering Microservices, you’ll be in for an exciting ride. For many it makes sense, but do read these articles and watch the videos to make sure you don’t just make a gigantic leap of faith. Being prepared for the issues will help you move forward when the going gets tough. 🙂
So here we go:
- Martin Fowler has been writing a series of articles about Microservices. You can find them under the tag here: http://martinfowler.com/tags/microservices.html
- Richard Clayton has suffered through a lot of issues, but come out on top. 🙂 https://rclayton.silvrback.com/failing-at-microservices
- The guys at Contino has also seen many common issues with a great summary. http://contino.co.uk/microservices-not-a-free-lunch/
- It has become quite apparent to most people that Microservices and DevOps (full automation, not a team) is closely related. Here’s a great high level introduction to DevOps: https://medium.com/@donaldguy/what-is-devops-1150f318a567
- A thorough introduction to the concept of Microservices. A bit basic, but if you’re new to the concept it’s worth the read. http://www.infoq.com/articles/microservices-intro
And if you have only two hours, watch these videos. A very clear message by two very good speakers:
- Continuous Delivery for Architects, Neal Ford at JavaZone 2014 – https://vimeo.com/105751212
- Practical Considerations for Microservice Architectures, Sam Newman at JavaZone 2014 – https://vimeo.com/105751281
If you’re Norwegian speaking you might also want to check out our talk about our experiences at my current client: https://vimeo.com/album/1807533/video/105777592 .
Let me know what I’ve missed. 🙂